The Riverdale Y is a robust, community engaging nonprofit that values its volunteers. Hundreds of community members share their talents with us, contributing thousands of hours of time.
Volunteers work alongside staff to embody our universally held values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. They strengthen our community by being determined, nurturing, genuine, hopeful, and welcoming. We are truly honored and grateful for each of our volunteers.
We offer drop-in activities and dedicated volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteers ages 6 to 12 are welcome to join us with a legal guardian
- Groups of volunteers ages 12 to 13 are welcome to join us with an adult chaperoning the group
- Volunteers 14 and above, who would like to do more than 2 hours a month, need to fill out an application
How To Volunteer With Us
To join us for regularly scheduled volunteer opportunities and be notified of special volunteer events, please click here. We’ll contact you with drop-in opportunities as they arise.
To become a committed volunteer, please fill out this application.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
In September, we will be looking for help with:
- September 20 – AmPark Norc – 11am – 2:30pm – Food Pantry – help set up and run the food pantry for those in need of food. This is rain or shine, outdoor activity. Sunscreen and a hat are advised. (ages 14+)
- September 27 – Riverdale Y – 12:30pm – 4:00pm – Food Pantry – help set up and run the food pantry for those in need of food. This is rain or shine, outdoor activity. Sunscreen and a hat are advised. (ages 14+)
To participate in any of these activities, please register here.
In October, we will be…
- Packing food for those in need
- Providing Older Adult Center services
- Teen Led Projects
Your Volunteer Impact
In August, thanks to you, and all our volunteers…
- We served 170 Birthday Meals in the Gym, which is a huge feat of accomplishment!
- Served 20 new SNAP/EBT customers at our Farmer’s Market with the help of Cohort A interns
- Collected over 50 lbs of school supplies during our Back to School Supplies Drive
In July, thanks to you, and all our volunteers…
- we distributed over 10,000 lbs of food in two pantries.
- moved over 2.3 tons of of books from St. Gabriel’s school to State Senator Rivera’s office to distribute throughout the Bronx.
- served over 180 meals to older adults during out Birthday celebration
In June, thanks to you, and all our volunteers…
- We gardened with AmPark Norc members, engaging with older adults while removing over 50 lbs of weeds, rocks and trash
- We took care of Holocaust survivors, served choir performances by our older adults and supported the older adult fundraiser, interacting with over 200 older adults
- We ran two food pantries, giving out over 10,000 lbs of food
- we served over 2,100 meals to older adults
- we engaged over 600 folks for Lag B’Omer, Mother’s Day, and Riverdale Run & Fun Day
- we distributed 168 packages of food at the Food Pantry