Before we get into very important details about group lessons, we would like to introduce our new Aquatics Director, Yoel Gerstein. Yoel brings over a decade of experience running aquatics programs, pool operations, and safety training; most recently at the Miraval Resorts and previously at the American Red Cross, YMCA of Southern Arizona, and the Monsey Swim School. His passion for aquatics and dedication to safety aligns well with where we want to bring our aquatics program here at the Riverdale Y. Please join us in welcoming, Yoel!
Important details about group swim lessons at the Riverdale Y and review our policies and procedures below so that this session goes swimmingly.
- Each group lesson holds 10 sessions. Sessions start the week of October 15 and end the week of December 17. Except lessons held on Thursdays which end on December 27.
- All lessons are held at the Riverdale Y pool located at 5625 Arlington Ave, Bronx, NY 10471. Parking is available onsite.
- There are NO makeup lessons for missed lessons. The Riverdale Y is not responsible for providing makeup classes or issuing refunds for programs missed due to client illness, scheduling conflicts, vacations, etc. In the event of inclement weather or other reasons the Riverdale Y needs to cancel a class, a make-up class will be offered.
- The Riverdale Y will offer prorated credit for sessions canceled by the Riverdale Y after the first class begins for reasons such as low enrollment. Our swim lessons will focus on water safety, building foundational skills, improving techniques, and fostering a love for swimming in a friendly and fun environment.
Here are things that you can do to contribute to your swim experience at the Riverdale Y:
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your class begins. Our lobby will be bustling with all the programs and it will allow you time to check in and head down to the pool (located on the B2 level of our facility).
- Please ensure all swimmers are dressed to swim. Outer clothes and bags may be placed on the bleachers hung on hooks on the pool deck or placed in a locker in our locker rooms (you need to bring your lock).
- Please bring swim caps, swimsuits, and towels. Swim caps are mandatory. Goggles are recommended. Towels are not provided. Swim caps and goggles are available for sale at the front desk for $5 each.
- No street shoes or strollers are allowed on the pool deck.
- Notify the front desk that you are here for swim class.
- Proceed to the pool deck two levels down from the front lobby (B2) A family/co-ed locker room is located on the B2 level.
Entering pool/pool deck:
- Swimmers need to shower before entering the pool. There are showers in the locker rooms.
- Check in with a Riverdale Y staff member on the deck (recognizable by a green shirt) and they will direct you to your group.
- We have limited space for spectators. If you are staying to watch a class, you MUST stay in the bleacher area. No one may sit by the edge of the pool for safety reasons. We ask that only one parent or guardian be in the bleacher area if watching the class.
- Street shoes are not permitted on the pool deck. You may purchase shoe covers at the front desk for $1 cash. You can walk barefoot, or you can bring flip-flops or Crocs to change into.
- Strollers are not permitted on the pool deck. They can be left out in the hallway or the locker room.
Again, we look forward to seeing you at the pool and embarking on this exciting swimming journey together. If you have any questions or need further information, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of us.
Yoel Gerstein, Director of Aquatics
Michael Casiano, Assistant Director of Aquatics
Jessica Kessler, Director of Member Experience