Our 5-week internship program is designed to teach young adults, ages 14 to 18, the skills necessary to succeed in life. Participants will develop important skills including effective communication, empathetic listening, and community building.
We are thrilled to run this program for the third year in a row, and we welcome all interested teens and parents to apply, regardless of background or experience.
Here are all the details you need to know:
The internship program runs from July 10 to August 10 and meets Monday to Thursday from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Participants are placed into two cohorts, each with a unique focus.
Cohort A will focus on nutritional education and spreading awareness about our farmer’s market to SNAP EBT recipients. Our goal is to ensure that everyone in the community has access to farm-fresh food. Cohort A participants will learn about healthy eating, food sustainability, and community outreach.
Cohort B will focus on creating intergenerational connections between teens and older adults. By working with older adults, interns will form meaningful new relationships, receive the wisdom of earlier generations and learn how to be responsible adults themselves. Cohort B participants will develop important skills including effective communication, empathetic listening, and community building.
The following are necessary to apply: a copy of your school transcript, a letter of recommendation from a community leader, and consent forms. Click the link for the Legal Guardian Consent Forms.
- Cohort A: Teens must be able to join Riverdale Y’s Sunday Market at least once during the internship for two hours. Teens should be interested in nutrition and foodways, and have taken two advanced level courses in school. Culinary experience is preferred but not required.
- Cohort B: Teens should be rising Junior or Seniors or very mature so they can relate to older adults. Teens should be truly engaged in what they are doing, and must dedicate at least one day a month during the school year to continue the intergenerational program.
The Riverdale Y will provide kosher lunch daily through our kitchen.
This is an unpaid internship, but teens will be treated like employees. Only those who can do all 5 weeks will move on to the next stage.
Teens should be able to afford public transportation to and from the Riverdale Y, as well as local communities along the bus routes BX10, BX7, BX20. Financial assistance may be offered on a need basis.
- The deadline to apply is Monday, June 12.
- To apply, fill out the online application form and submit the relevant documents via Google Drive to email@example.com.
- There are two rounds of interviews – one in-person and the second one is online. Interview questions are available upon request.
We hope that this information has been helpful in outlining the requirements, expectations, and details for the Riverdale Y Leadership Internship, Summer 2023. We look forward to hearing from you and embarking on a summer of growth and community impact together!